Revostock

Welcome! My name is Alan Shisko, and I'm a freelance motion graphics artist working out of Toronto, Canada. I've been very lucky in my career to have had many inspiring teachers, and decided to start this blog to give back to the community that has enriched me both technically and aesthetically. Perhaps my words and images will inspire you to do the same! If you wish, take a minute to view my demo reel at Shisko.com, or view a comprehensive gallery of my past work Here.


Thursday, May 31, 2007

Max2AE



I've posted before about Boomerlabs' Max2AE plugin that integrates 3dsMax cameras, lights and layers with After Effects, but they've since released the 2.0 version and it certainly warrants another close look.

This particular post takes you through the creation of an entire project, from modelling in 3dsMax to ray traced materials, rendering issues to After Effects, and how to make it all work together. Click here to view the tutorial.

One thing: I do not have the final rendered movie to refer to (I mention it in the tutorial), but you can instead see elements of this look in my demo reel.

New to this release of Max2AE is the ability to go from After Effects to Max. This capability is something new and quite exciting: to the best of my knowledge, this is the ONLY way that you can take your AE worldspace and export it TO a 3d application if you decide that you want to add some extruded elements to an existing AE project. I'm still playing around with this capability and I don't touch upon it in this particular post, but keep your eyes pointed this way for a tut covering AE2Max one day soon.

UPDATE:
Matthew from Boomerlabs sent me a note pointing out a few changes to my tut:

1) Timestamp 22:13. You no longer need to create a layer to export a camera or use MAX2AE. MAX2AE is also available in the Utility Panel.

2) Timestamp 28:08. Maintain heirarchy will keep the existing object hierarchy when you export. If you turn this off, all objects _will_ properly move relative to each other and the world. However, their hierarchy is not maintained. For most users, keeping it on or off is no big deal. However, if you are only exporting _individual_ layers that aren't already arranged in the proper hierarchy in AE, it is best to turn this option OFF otherwise you will be importing motion that is relative to a parent that doesn't exist.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Paul Tuersley wrote a script to go from AE to C4D.
You can find it here : http://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=653

Salvador

Anonymous said...

Hi. Very helpful tutorial, I would like to ask you to make some tutorial for a making a ribbon in a invigorator..


thanks again

Leo said...

Do you know anything about rendering rpf sequences in Max and creating a camera in After Efffects with them? I'm currently having some trouble with this integration. . .

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

is there any, i mean more tutorial like this ? MAX2AE? because this tutorial is comes with no sound, so i don't realy undestand with it... and, the video is too small to see, i can't see with clearly the text from the capture...
thx before

Alan Shisko said...

I think I've got one or two more Max2AE tut's elsewhere on the site. But when I view it, the audio plays fine. Can't do anything about the size, unfortunately: it was made half a decade ago after all :)

Anonymous said...

thank's for reply, you said the audio is fine.. mmm maybe there's trouble with my player.. what player you use to play the tutorial. i played with MPC, but no sound, firstly i though this tutorial is comes with no sound... you know, just like video tutorial but without audio..